What is DATUM™?
AFS DATUM is a web-based portal residing in a secure cloud environment that uses the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) as a single point of reference, and coordinates all other relevant information for that product, stores it within a safe database, and automatically transmits that information to all authorized constituents in the supply chain. AFS DATUM is data pool agnostic and is focused on all segments of the CPG supply chain.
DATUM: A Data Flow Superhighway for Food and Beverage Companies
- AFS DATUM is an industry portal that for the first time addresses the supply chain in its totality, rather than simply addressing individual segments of the industry.
- DATUM synchronizes updates and gives users access to valuable logistic and marketing product information such prices, allergens and nutritional ingredients.
- DATUM leverages existing Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) data so manufacturers whom already publish to the GDSN are not required to take additional steps to publish information to supply chain partners.
Why is Data Flow and Connectivity so Important to the Supply Chain?
- Ensures the right product arrives at the right place and at the right time
- Enables efficient business practices and drives down supply chain costs
- Guarantees trading partners have accurate and reliable product data at all times
- Helps the supply chain operate smoother, quicker and more efficient
GTIN, GDSN and GS1 Standards
Adopting GTINs for standardized product identification, and the participation in the GDSN will enable the sharing of important product characteristics and attributes via a standardized GS1 bar code. This will achieve cost savings as well as:
- Provide consumers with accurate allergen, nutritional and ingredient information
- Enable distributors to sell your product better by utilizing enhanced product descriptions and images
2014 Expectations for Foodservice
The International Foodservice Distributors Association (IFDA) and top IFDA members, including US Foods, Sysco, McLane Foodservice and DOT Foods, have requested all manufacturers use GTINs, participate in GDSN and implement GS1 Standards by December 31, 2014. The emphasis is specifically being placed on assigning and utilizing GTINs to improve product information, efficiency and food safety.
Download the white paper AFS Technologies Creates Superhighway for Data Flow between CPG Constituents.
Interested in more information? Simply complete the form below and an AFS representative will be in touch with your shortly.