What is DATUM™?
AFS DATUM is a web-based portal residing in a secure cloud environment that offers a single source of truth for all product attributes. It keeps enterprise systems in sync and consistent across all information channels, and allows publishing to trading partners directly or via GDSN. DATUM is a low risk/high reward investment that ensures a company’s product attributes are accurate and complete – regardless of how or where they are used across the enterprise.
DATUM: The Universal Product Information Master
DATUM aims to reconcile, consolidate, standardize and deliver a single version of the truth of product information to internal and external users, processes and systems.
- System of record for all non-transactional product information
- Unifies and harmonizes information from repositories across the enterprise
- Keeps your internal enterprise systems in sync with any changes
- Provides primary management of attributes that your systems do not support
- Ability to expand the attribute list based upon recipient needs
- Supports data governance: access rights to add, change, view and approve product information
- Image Management: Image aggregation and hosting
DATUM: A Data Flow Superhighway for Food and Beverage Companies
- DATUM for manufacturers consolidates and delivers product information to internal and external users, processes and systems.
- For distributors, retailers, operators and agencies (recipients), DATUM offers one process to obtain, access and integrate product information from all trading partners.
- DATUM leverages Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN) and supports all attributes of the GS1 US Foodservice initiative including allergens, ingredients, nutrients and images.
Why is Data Flow and Connectivity so Important to the Supply Chain?
- Enables efficient business practices and drives down supply chain costs
- Guarantees trading partners have accurate and reliable product data at all times
- Helps the supply chain operate smoother, quicker and more efficient
GTIN, GDSN and GS1 Standards
Adopting GTINs for standardized product identification, and the participation in the GDSN will enable the sharing of important product characteristics and attributes via a standardized GS1 bar code. This will achieve cost savings as well as:
- Provide consumers with accurate allergen, nutritional and ingredient information
- Enable distributors to sell your product better by utilizing enhanced product descriptions and images
2014 Expectations for Foodservice
The International Foodservice Distributors Association (IFDA) and top IFDA members, including US Foods, Sysco, McLane Foodservice and DOT Foods, have requested all manufacturers use GTINs, participate in GDSN and implement GS1 Standards by December 31, 2014. The emphasis is specifically being placed on assigning and utilizing GTINs to improve product information, efficiency and food safety.
Interested in more information? Simply complete the form below and an AFS representative will be in touch with your shortly.